Lego Universe Calls It Quits
Today, a general email went out to Lego Universe subscribers informing them that the game will be shut down on January 31, 2012. The reason given is simple – there just are not enough subscribers to sustain the game financially. Recently, the game went “free-to-play” and offered the entire game world open to all for a weekend, but apparently, this didn’t attract enough interest to keep the game fiscally viable.
- The game will be turned off on January 31, 2012 at midnight (EST).
- All current subscribers (1, 6 or 12 month plans) who still have active subscriptions on December 31 will receive a refund for any remaining game time remaining after December 31 as well as free play from January 1, 2012 until January 31.
- For example, if you purchased a 6-month subscription on September 1, 2011 (which would expire on February 29, 2012), you would be refunded $16.66 for the 2 months following December 31.
- We will begin processing all refunds on February 1, 2012. All refunds will be made to the credit card used for the original subscription.
- If your subscription expires before December 31 you will need to purchase an additional 1 month subscription by December 31 in order to get the free game play in January (again, any unused game time as of December 31 will be refunded.)
- LEGO Universe game cards can only be used until December 1st 2011. Unused game cards after December 1st can be converted to LEGO Shop @Home gift cards for the same value.
- Please note: Details on how to convert unused game cards will be posted on December 1.
- You can continue to enjoy the free to play zone until January 31, 2012 but your last chance to convert to a paying subscription is December 31, 2011.
Perhaps we will see this content folded into a standalone game someday, but for now, the Lego Universe calendar ends on 1/31/2012. Additional details can be found here.